Strigois, Strzyga or Štrigun are spirits similar to vampires or warlocks who had led troubled lives from Romania, Croatia and other Slavic countries. They became well-known after appearing in the Witcher video game series.
Most Strigois have crimson hair, indigo eyes and two hearts. However, they normally take the form of other entities. They survive by sucking blood and normally transform into animals or spirits. It is said that strigois haunt villages during the night, when they get out of their graves to feed themselves with animals' blood. In the romanian culture, when an animal was sick it was said that it might have been the victim of a strigoi.
How to become a Strigoi
- Lead a troubled or unfinished life.
- Be born out of wedlock
- Die before being baptized
- Die unnaturally
- Birth defects
- According to old legends- a person could be born with two souls, and in result, only one soul being baptized, so after death, the unbaptized soul can't leave the body, resulting in them becoming a strzyga
How to prevent or remove a Strigoi
- Bury a bottle of whisky with the corpse
- Destroy the corpse before its buried
- Exhume the body, then destroy
- The typical spike/stake through the heart