Morgawr, meaning sea giant in Cornish, is a plesiosaur-like cryptid that lives in Cornwall. It has been photographed, even caught on tape. First sighted in 1906, various theories have been proposed for as to the identity of this sea serpent, ranging from a hoax or mistaken identity, to the suggestion that the creature is a surviving species of Plesiosaur or that it is a previously undiscovered species of long necked seal. In the absence of a carcass or a living specimen, identity explanations depend only on eyewitness accounts and low-quality photographs. It resembles many other species of prehistoric water reptiles, like a plesiosaur.
- 1876: A sea serpent is allegedly captured by fishers at Gerran's Bay.
- 1906: Sighted off Land's End.
- 1975: Two witnesses claim to see a humped figure with stumpy horns and bristles in it's long neck, holding a conger eel in it's mouth.
- 1976: Mary F sent two photos of Morgawr to the Falmouth Packet. She said "it looked like an elephant waving its trunk, but the trunk was a long neck with a small head at the end, like a snake's head. It had humps on its back which moved in a funny way... the animal frightened me. I would not like to see it any closer. I do not like the way it moved when swimming." Neither Mary F or the negatives have ever been traced. Noted mystery writers and photographers Janet and Colin Bord have examined first-generation copy prints, and "feel that these photographs could well be genuine".
- 1976: Tony "Doc" Shiels claim to have photographed the creature lying low on the water. He mentions stumpy horns and describes the body of the animal 15 feet long.
- 1985: Report of the creature during holiday. It should be noted that Mrs. Waldon was watching her husband swimming in the sea, when she noticed a large silhouette with a long neck.
- 1987: A diver sees a neck with a long neck rising 1-meter from the sea.
- 1999: Tape of unidentified animal on the sea. Last sighting of Morgawr, along with his possible death, because he hasn't been sighted in 15 years.
- The Owlman, that also inhabits Cornwall.
Retrieved from "https://cryptidz.fandom.com/wiki/Morgawr?oldid=95608"
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.